Teacher, Social Studies, Senior School (Grade 8 - 12)
Teacher, Social Studies, Senior School (Grade 8 - 12)
Exciting Opportunity for an Extraordinary Teacher
Full-Time or Part-Time (Depending on Sections) - Continuing Contract
At Crofton House School, we inspire girls to discover and pursue their personal excellence from the first day of junior kindergarten to grade 12 and beyond.
Bound by our belief in the power of all-girls education, Crofton House School fosters a strong sense of community among educators, staff, students and families. Here, everyone can contribute to the strength of our learning environment – including you.
The Social Studies Department at Crofton House School is distinguished by extraordinary teachers who provide a collaborative, inquiry-based learning environment for students to develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The teaching facilities are well equipped and offer bright and technology rich learning environments. inquiry-based, and student-centered approach to teaching.
As an experienced, skilled, and innovative teacher of Social Studies, you inspire students. You are actively engaged in planning, implementing and assessing student learning. You are confident in curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that is reflective of the way in which girls learn. You optimize the resources available to you. You support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and bring innovative solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Your classes are student-centered and dynamic. As an Ivy Compass Advisor, you support the development of the ‘whole girl’. Students, members of your department, colleagues and parents describe you as approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. You are energized by what you do. You understand the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a lifelong learner, you demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You participate actively in the life of the school.
You will find the school to be a professional learning center. In addition to spending an engaging day with students who are genuinely interested in learning, thinking and playing, teachers are provided with dedicated work time as part of their daily schedule to plan and work collaboratively with others.
Responsibilities of a CHS Teacher:
- Bring a student-centered, inquiry-based and collaborative approach to the delivery of the B.C. curriculum
- Support the growth and development of individual learners through the delivery of the Crofton House School Ivy and Advisory program
- Work collaboratively with teachers in the Senior School to plan, develop, and implement an extraordinary learning experience for each individual student
- Build relationships with teachers and staff across the school community
- Set annual professional growth goals
- Be an active and positive participant in the co-curricular program
Responsibilities of an Assistant Program Coordinator:
- Promote a collegial teaching and learning environment with and beyond the department.
- Collaborate with all Senior School Departments Heads and Program Coordinators to develop a single vision for teaching and learning in the Senior School
- Collaborate with teachers in the department/program and Junior School subject-specific teachers to develop subject-specific curricular scope and sequence from Grade 1 to Grade 12
- Manage a department/program budget from initial request to year-end reconciliation
- As the instructional leader for the department/program, engage in the ‘Teacher Professional Growth Plan’ of all department/program members through observation and documented conversations
- Support constructive engagement of parents in the curricular program
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
- Essential: B.C. Ministry of Education Certificate or Independent School Certification qualification criteria, (or application in process)
- Relevant university qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Arts, or equivalent)
- Graduate degree, an asset
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices outlined in the BC Ministry of Education documents
- An ability to teach Advanced Placement courses, an asset
- Experience in an independent school, an asset
- Ability to teach a second subject, an asset
- Knowledge of the Harkness method, an asset
- A demonstrable awareness of the learning styles of girls and young women
- Collaborative and energetic with a passion for teaching
- Committed to the craft of teaching, best practices, and standards of professional practice
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program the diverse life of the school community
Employment and Application Details:
Classes begin in September 2019, following teacher orientation in late August 2019.
Employees of Crofton House School receive competitive compensation, including participation in Crofton House Pension Plan (RRSP), and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development. Please note that applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.
Apply online at www.croftonhouse.ca/careers by April 30, 2019. We will review applications as soon as they are submitted. Interviews will begin in mid-April, or as soon as possible.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.
About Crofton House School
Crofton House School is a university preparatory day school for girls from junior kindergarten to grade 12. Set on a beautiful ten-acre campus in Vancouver, we offer an inclusive, supportive community of dedicated teachers, involved parents, and enthusiastic students. Collaborative, student-centred, inquiry-based education and world-class facilities create a unique learning environment where each girl can reach her full potential.