Teacher On Call and Teacher Assistant (Instructional)
Southpointe Academy, an independent, K to 12, university-preparatory school in Tsawwassen, B.C. invites applications from individuals who wish to join our dynamic community. Located in a contemporary urban learning environment, the School building meets rigorous architectural standards and possesses views from all common areas of the Fraser Delta, Gulf of Georgia and the North Shore Mountains. Southpointe Academy is home to 560 students and over 80 teachers and support staff.
The School is an authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) world school and IB Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) world school. Southpointe also offers The College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Program to students in Grades 10 to 12. Our graduates attend the top post-secondary schools in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K.
Reporting to the Junior School Principal, the Teacher On Call and Teacher Assistant (Instructional) position will commence as soon as possible concluding June 25, 2021.
Southpointe is seeking a Teacher On Call to provide internal coverage in the absence of the regular classroom teacher. When there is no internal coverage the expectation is that as a Teacher Assistant (Instructional) the successful candidate will assist Junior School teachers, in the planning, development, modification, preparation, and implementation of the curriculum.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Teacher On Call:
- Takes responsibility for groups or classes of students in the absence of their usual teacher.
- Supervise the work of students and manage the behaviour of students to ensure that the classroom remains a place for learning.
- Registering student attendance and dealing with any emergent issues.
- Duties and Responsibilities of a Teaching Assistant:
- Assists the teacher in the planning, development, modification, preparation, and implementation of curriculum, classroom materials and schedules to meet the needs of designated student(s);
- Assists the teacher in the planning and implementation of individualized and/or group behaviour programs in specialized or integrated settings, such as regular or resource classrooms;
- Reinforces concepts introduced by the teacher and implements instructional programs designed by the teacher;
- Maintains regular communications with the supervising teacher and other team members and other relevant professionals;
- Observes and records student progress, maintains detailed written records as required;
- Supervises student(s) both on and off the school campus as required;
- Operates standard school and office equipment including personal computer applications, instructional aid communications, and special individualized equipment;
- May carry out emergency procedures;
- Remains current with changing technology, practices, and equipment;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Completion of B.Ed. and one of the following from the B.C. Ministry of Education: Certificate of Qualification or Independent School Teaching Certificate;
- Support of the School’s mission, vision and values;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively while following the direction and guidance of the classroom/resource teacher;
- Ability to operate a variety of office and school equipment, including equipment specific to the needs of the student(s);
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
- Ability to use judgment when providing information;
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position;
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
Hours of Work: 7:45 am to 3:45 pm on days in which students are in school.
Teacher Assistant Salary: As per Collective Bargaining Agreement, $27.11 per hour.
Teacher On Call Salary: $260.00 per day/$130.00 per half day
Please submit your application with the following supporting documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter;
- BC Teaching Certificate or Independent School Teaching Certificate number;
- Two letters of reference from past supervisors;
- Most recent teaching evaluation.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at Southpointe Academy. However, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.