Science Teacher (Temporary)
Position Title: Science Teacher (Temporary 0.8FTE)
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Academics / Instructional Leader - Science
Nature and Scope
The successful candidate will work with a strong team of science teachers to create a positive and engaging learning environment for our students. S/he will demonstrate superior teaching ability for Science 9, Science 10 and Chemistry 11. S/he will embrace contemporary teaching and learning practices, and be committed to ongoing professional growth. Furthermore, the successful candidate will carry out planning, lesson delivery, assessment and student support as well as communicate with parents, advisors, and houseparents in a timely and effective manner. S/he will be part of a dynamic campus environment where highly motivated students and dedicated staff combine to create a vital, inclusive community culture.
• Demonstrated ability to teach the range of science courses listed above.
• Create dynamic and relevant lessons and learning experiences.
• As the academic year progresses, make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities.
• Assist students with comprehension and application of various learning concepts;
• Employ a variety of innovative pedagogical strategies, including the use of technology;
• Generate excitement about key concepts and areas of study;
• Maintain a safe, clean, welcoming, and positive learning environment;
• Maintain behavioural expectations in the classroom by applying consistent and fair boundaries; Address student questions, focusing on areas of greatest difficulty;
• Offer extra tutorial support;
• Model and assist students with understanding and application of good study habits;
• Ensure that students have appropriate academic resources;
• Behave in a respectful manner at all times with students, staff, and parents.
• Administer formative and summative assessments to evaluate students’ progress;
• Keep accurate records of progress;
• Be prepared to re-assess for students’ best interests;
• Deliver consistent feedback to students to keep them apprised of their progress;
• Inform parents/advisor/house parents of their child’s progress via direct contact and the completion of written reports.
• Possibly participate in the co-curricular program in either arts or athletics, and the boarding program;
• Possibly act as an Advisor to a selected group of students;
• Commit to all assigned school duties;
• Participate in department and school meetings, including parent meetings;
• Deal tactfully with staff, students, parents and the public;
• Perform pastoral duties, e.g. counsel students with academic problems and provide encouragement;
• Be willing to participate in school events and activities, including overnight trips with the students, when needed.
• Post-secondary degree;
• B.Ed or equivalent, post graduate degree an asset;
• Accredited to teach in the province of British Columbia.
• Experience teaching science at the secondary level;
• Familiarity with Grade 9 -12 BC current curriculum;
• Ability to integrate technology into teaching and learning;
• Self-motivated and detail oriented, adaptable to changing priorities and procedures;
• Excellent teamwork, analytical thinking, planning, organization, and problem-solving skills;
• High level of energy and patience;
• Works well under pressure and to tight deadlines, maintains a calm and analytical mindset;
• Other assets include experience in a boarding or independent school setting, and leadership experience.
• .8 FTE from January to June, 2019;
• Criminal Record Check clearance is a condition of initial and ongoing employment;
• Fast-paced learning and boarding school community environment that operates 7 days a week;
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Qualified applicants should forward their applications
to the attention of Human Resources by no later than at 4pm on Tuesday November 20th, 2018.
Fax (250) 743-8446 | email@example.com
2735 Mt. Baker Road, Mill Bay, BC V0R 2P1