Primary Division Teacher
FULL, PERMANENT POSITION STARTING AUGUST 27, 2018
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a co-educational boarding and day school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Students from all over the world are challenged and inspired among their peers in an environment of extraordinary faculty, students, programming and facilities. Committed to pursuing academic excellence in an environment where the character and self also grow, the School’s mission shapes all its endeavours:
Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for higher learning and for life.
The Junior School (Kindergarten to Grade 5) is a dynamic and joyful community of learners who create a culture of excellence, think critically and creatively, and are nurtured through supportive relationships in order to reach each child’s potential. Our teaching practice is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach, project and inquiry based learning, brain research and the Virtues Project.
The school is currently seeking a Primary Division Core teacher to become part of our highly engaged, progressive and professional faculty, who will fully embrace the SMUS vision and mission statements and shares our educational philosophy and image of the child.
Junior School, Full-time teaching
All applicants must have a Bachelor of Education, a minimum of three years of Elementary teaching experience and be eligible for BC teaching certification. Familiarity with the new BC Curriculum and Independent School experience is an asset.
As well as a passion for teaching, the successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, and have the following skills, background and competencies:
• An understanding of the developmental needs of early learners;
• A strong background in literacy and numeracy;
• Experience with interdisciplinary, inquiry and project-based learning;
• A demonstrated ability to integrate technology to transform learning;
• An understanding of current best differentiation practices and commitment to the needs of all learners;
• Strong collaborative skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
• A proven ability to communicate effectively with parents and colleagues along with demonstrated leadership;
• An understanding of the teaching of social emotional skills and character education;
• A solid understanding of the philosophy of a Reggio-inspired approach;
• Experience using documentation to make learning visible;
• A demonstrated ability to foster innovation and creativity to enhance learning;
• A commitment to and involvement in co-curricular activities.
Applicants are requested to supply a résumé with references, accompanied by a cover letter outlining the candidate’s particular strengths and how the candidate is well-suited to teaching in a rich academic program. Please respond by email on or prior to April 3, 2018 to:
Becky Anderson, Director of Junior School
St. Michaels University School
820 Victoria Avenue
Victoria BC V8S 4N3