Learning Strategies Teacher - Senior School
Southridge is a co-ed, independent day school located in South Surrey, BC with 688 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our mission is to develop well-rounded students with the love of learning, integrity, character and confidence to realize their full potential and make a difference in the world.
Southridge has affectionally been described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re interested in working in an energizing environment with a team of dedicated professionals who like to work hard and have fun, please keep reading…
LEARNING STRATEGIES TEACHER (PERMANENT, FULL-TIME)
We are currently inviting applications for the full-time (1.0 FTE) position of Learning Strategies Teacher – Senior School. This position will commence September 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To identify and support the individual learning needs of Senior School students.
• To work collaboratively with the student services team as well as other key stakeholders in order to effectively support students with learning differences
• To monitor, support and document the progress of students who receive specific interventions
• To participate with teachers and the Head of Senior School in collaboratively communicating with parents regarding student identification, intervention plans, and student progress toward documented goals
• To establish relationships with all students in the Senior School to promote the cultural acceptance of assistance when it is recommended
• To identify students for referral for psycho-educational assessments administered by trained specialists
• To support teachers in the implementation of specific differentiated teaching and learning strategies to meet the needs of all students
• To liaise with the Junior School Learning Strategies teacher, the Senior School Counsellor, and faculty to create programming for a successful transition for students into the Senior School from the Junior School
To assist students with special learning needs and support teachers of those students.
• To create Individual Education Plans and update them on an on-going basis
• To support teachers as they implement specific accommodations outlined in individual education plans
• To coordinate regular meetings of IEP teams
• To liaise with the Ministry of Education and other external bodies in providing adjudications for students with IEPs
• To coordinate with parents, the support for students who have exemptions from the regular academic program
• To promote the Student Learning Strategies Centre as the center of academic support for students with learning differences
• To work with the School Counsellor to develop supportive and caring relationships with students which promote self-advocacy and a view of themselves as capable students
• Master’s degree or special education diploma with emphasis on different learning styles is recommended
• B.Ed. is required
• Experience in a senior school learning resource center is required
• Experience in independent schools is an asset
• Working knowledge of learning disabilities and implications for the classroom
• Understanding of Psycho-Educational assessments and interpretation of reports
• Clear knowledge and understanding of Level B testing and terminology
• Knowledge and expertise of materials, strategies and programs available for students with a variety of different learning differences that may require support both within and outside the classroom as well as on occasion outside the school if appropriate.
• Strong classroom management and communication skills
• Must have strong organizational skills
• Able to assess a student situation quickly and effectively
• Must enjoy challenging and demanding workload
• Ability to document daily progress of each student along with daily administrative and student workload
• A fair, patient, caring and consistent educator that acts as a strong motivator for both students and teachers
• Able to interact positively, co-operatively and professionally with students, teachers, parents, faculty and administration promoting the benefits of the Learning Strategies Center
• Ability to give confidence to students having difficulties by applying proven successful learning strategies
• Able to provide direct instruction to students ensuring individualized programs suited to their learning needs
• Good working knowledge and application of standard computer programs
Southridge offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for this position, please create an account (or login to an existing one) online (Step 1) and ensure you complete the TeacherInsight Assessment (Step 2) by February 20, 2018.
For any questions relating to this position, or about employment at Southridge, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.