Band Teacher (Intermediate & Senior)
Intermediate & Senior
Full Time, 1.0 FTE
Start September 1, 2019
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an exceptional education for approximately 650 students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12.
York House School is inviting applications from creative, innovative and qualified Band teachers committed to providing an exceptional 21st century learning environment for our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, a passion for teaching, and a strong understanding of how girls learn. This individual may also fulfill the role of Teacher Advisor each day and will have opportunities to be involved in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that enhance students’ experiences at school. This teaching position involves teaching full-time Band in the Senior School, which entails early morning starts.
- Bachelor of Music or Music Education degree or academic equivalent
- Course work and/or knowledge of strategies for instruction in electronic music is an asset
- Music education teaching methodology courses in the relevant areas
- Expertise in knowledge and teaching of instrumental music programs
- Master’s degree or equivalent is an asset
- British Columbia Teachers certification or equivalent
- Prefer five years of Secondary teaching experience
- Independent School experience is an asset
Desired Qualities and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of British Columbia Curriculum and pedagogy
- Demonstrated experience of operation of strong instrumental and choral music program
- Strong knowledge of instrument-specific teaching methods and conduction
- Passion for increasing knowledge of musical styles and technique
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning, developing critical 21st-century global capacities
- Demonstrated experience as an inspiring, innovative and enthusiastic educator
- Collaborative and flexible, supportive and effective team player
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with all stakeholders
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
To learn more about this exceptional community please visit us at www.yorkhouse.ca.
York House School values diversity and provides an inclusive work environment.
A criminal record and vulnerable sector check is a requirement.
Please apply online here.
Closing Date: April 1, 2019
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.