University / Careers Counsellor
2330 Cypress Bowl Lane
West Vancouver, BC V7S 3H9
University / Careers Counsellor
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the north shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are looking for an inspirational and experienced Counsellor for the position of University/Careers Counsellor to start in August 2019. This is a full-time, permanent position.
University/Career Counsellor - Job Duties:
Working alongside our three existing university & careers counsellors and the Upper School Leadership Team, provide careers education and university guidance to students in the Upper School (grades 8-12) to enable them to make career-related decisions and to help them acquire the necessary skills to successfully manage their university applications. The role involves working with the Director of University Counselling, teachers, advisors, and other colleagues to expand and improve the delivery of careers education, information and guidance to all stakeholders throughout Upper School.
- Candidates will be expected to have:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a careers adviser or college counselor OR relevant experience in a selective university or college admissions office
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred)
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- An ability to motivate and inspire teachers, parents and students
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills
- A commitment to develop professionally and keep up to date with developments in higher education and careers guidance
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
- The ability to establish rapport and build trusting relationships with students, parents and colleagues
- A thorough understanding of International Baccalaureate programmes, and particularly the Diploma and its implications for higher education
- An understanding or expertise of college placement testing (PSAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL)
- Broad and current knowledge of the higher education landscape in North America and the UK
- Familiarity with higher education application processes and systems (such as Common Application, UCAS)
- An understanding of information technology systems that support higher education guidance
The salary range for this position will be $70,000 to $90,000, subject to qualifications and experience. This position will also include BC Medical coverage, health & dental benefits, tuition discount allowance and RRSP contribution.
Applicants should either be Canadian or be prepared, with our support, to go through the process of applying for the appropriate visa and permissions from the Canadian and BC authorities prior to commencement.
Please see our website for further information about our school and a detailed job description at www.mulgrave.com.
Your resume and covering letter should be submitted no later than March 31, 2019 to https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.