Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique 'IB Advantage': a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers. Our strength lies in meeting students where they are and in providing them the skills and opportunities to explore who they will become.
We are a strong community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for a like-minded individual who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities.
We are delighted to share the following opportunity:
Contract Position: Sept 2020 – Jun 2021
(contract term to be reviewed thereafter)
The School Nurse will be responsible for implementing best practices to support the overall health and well-being of students from JK - Grade 12. You will be a sole practitioner, responsible for providing health care and first aid services to our community and will be instrumental in supporting the implementation of COVID-19 infection prevention and control measures. The ideal candidate will have experience working in an educational setting, possess a genuine passion for health and wellness, and demonstrate a strong professional alignment with the School’s values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community.
- Provide assessment and appropriate nursing care to the school community within the accepted scope of practice;
- Respond to emergency situations, take charge and coordinate with emergency medical services if needed, and implement follow-up nursing care;
- Support the implementation of COVID-19 infection prevention and control guidelines; provide consultation, assessment and follow up regarding preventative measures taken and respond promptly to possible transmission within our community;
- Educate students, parents, faculty and staff regarding current trends in communicable diseases, general health and well-being, and preventative healthcare;
- Work collaboratively with various school personnel to support the delivery of programs to promote student and staff health and well-being;
- Work with teachers to design and deliver the School’s sex education program;
- Work with teachers, students and parents on ‘return to learning protocols’ as it relates to injuries (ie: concussions etc.) and other medical or mental health circumstances;
- Provide professional and timely communication to families / parents pertaining to the health and wellbeing of students with prevalent medical conditions, or any other health concerns;
- Respond to health and safety concerns of students and collaborate with members of the Joint Health & Safety Committee on matters related to faculty and staff;
- Review and maintain medical documentation in our Student Information System as it applies to the health status of a student or faculty/staff member;
- Liaise with the local public health office as it pertains to communicable diseases and other such matters, as required;
- Work with First Aid Attendants to ensure adequate first aid supplies and inventory are maintained;
- Work with the Admissions team to consult on students’ medical health and history;
- Coordinate and oversee the School’s vaccination program;
- Other relevant duties as necessary.
- Membership in good standing with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) as a Registered Nurse
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a pediatric and/or acute care setting
- Experience in pediatric mental health and family systems application
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to establish connections and build trust with students, parents and staff
- A calm and controlled demeanor during emergency situations
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully and professionally at all times
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Must be highly collegial and a collaborative team member
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Sex Educator training, an asset
- Must have a valid driver's license and daily access to a personal vehicle
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals that makes up our GNS Family. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/school-nurse-10?rcid=isabc
Application deadline: Friday, August 14, 2020
This position will remain open until filled. If this posting remains active on our website, we will continue to accept applications. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.