Each child holds our attention at Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS), an independent day school that is a caring, and thriving community. As one of only fourteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique 'IB Advantage': a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a strong community minded team with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding young men and women in making positive differences in the world. We currently have an exciting opportunity in our Finance Department and are seeking qualified applicants for the following role:
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Business Office. The Business Office acts as a support department to the rest of the School and to the parent community. As a result, the Controller’s mandate is to ensure seamless service at all times and to continually review the Business Office operations for increased efficiencies in multiple areas. Providing exemplary service to all stakeholders, the Controller builds strong relationships that support the school’s values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community.
- Prepares timely and accurate financial statements for both the GNS Society (“the School”) and GNS Foundation with commentary on variances to budget and prior year and significant transactions.
- Prepares the annual external financial statements for both the School and Foundation and all associated working papers.
- Oversees the work of the Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable, Payroll & Benefits Officer, Store Manager and Lunch Program Coordinator and provides on-going guidance, coaching and mentorship.
- Ensures all day-to-day activities are completed in a timely manner and follows up to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Ensures that all proper and necessary accounting controls are implemented and maintained to protect the School’s and Foundation’s assets, including cash management and compliance with taxation requirements.
- Assists with the annual budgeting process as required.
- Review monthly reconciliations to ensure accuracy and integrity of financial data.
- Reviews the quarterly GST returns.
- Prepares the annual Charity Returns for the School and Foundation.
- Follows up on difficult past due accounts as necessary. Meets with parents to discuss strategies to clear outstanding balances.
- Calculates and records the annual endowment earnings and distribution from the Foundation.
- Maintains the Fixed Asset and Deferred Capital Contribution sub-ledgers and continuity schedules.
- Reviews and signs all School and Foundation accounts payable cheques, processes online payments and wire transfers.
- Manages the various external audits and acts as the primary liaison with the auditors.
- Prepares various year-end schedules and analysis related to year-end audit.
- Assists budget-holders in managing their budgets by ensuring correct and timely communication of information.
- Manages the Chart of Accounts for the School and Foundation and customizes reports requested by Principals and other budget-holders, performing analysis as required.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvements and implements process improvements.
- Prepares analysis as requested by the Director of Finance.
- Attends ISABC Controllers/Accounting Managers meetings and actively participates in contributing to agenda items.
- Provides support in all administration functions as required.
- Undertakes special projects and other duties as required.
- In a tactful and professional manner, provide ongoing advice, guidance and instruction to faculty and staff to ensure accuracy of work and proper policies and procedures are followed, while supporting their needs.
- Provide guidance to internal and external partners in order to enable timely resolution to issues as they arise.
- Provide and seek feedback and suggestions for the short and long term planning of the department.
- Monitor and review service based on best practice to effectively meet the needs of internal and external partners, and recommending changes when appropriate.
- Use judgment, creative problem solving and ingenuity to evaluate issues in order to resolve concerns or complaints.
- Bring forward issues related to procedure and policy development that require broader consultation and consideration to members of the leadership team.
- Respond to unforeseen circumstances within and/or outside his/her workgroup, in an immediate and effective manner.
- Use problem solving and conflict resolution techniques to ensure an effective, productive and positive work environment.
- Liaise with other institutions, professional organizations, and other relevant committees or organizations as necessary.
- Bachelor of Commerce, Business or other related discipline.
- Completion of professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA) with membership in good standing.
- Three or more years’ of progressive experience in an accounting environment.
- Three of more years’ of leadership experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be results-driven, a self-starter and highly motivated with a leadership and interpersonal style that fosters collaborative and productive relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision, combined with the skills to thrive in a team-based environment.
- Highly detail oriented with superior analytical, financial and accounting skills.
- Ability to think, plan and execute strategically and build support for the School’s mission and vision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative, yet decisive, management style.
- Proactive and innovative approach to solving problems.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
- High standards of confidentiality and integrity with staff, parents and other community members.
- Flexibility and tolerance for high stress, fast paced environment.
- Highly proficient using Excel and other Microsoft applications.
- Highly proficient using Financial Edge/Blackbaud or other accounting software systems.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional and dedicated community. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/controller-160?rcid=isabc
Application Deadline: March 16, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.