Human Resources Coordinator (Maternity Leave)
Southpointe Academy, an independent, K-12, university-preparatory school invites applications from individuals who wish to join our dynamic team. Located in Tsawwassen, BC, the school is home to 545 students and a faculty and staff of over 75 teachers and support staff. Our graduates attend the top post-secondary schools in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. The school is an authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) school and is implementing the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP). We also offer the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Program to students in Grades 10-12.
The Human Resources Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the School’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating the School’s human resources policies, programs, and practices. This position is also responsible for various human resource functions including recruitment, staffing, training, development, performance reviews, and compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and facilitate the full range of human resource functions including recruitment and selection, program and policy design, compensation and benefits, job descriptions, offer letters, and performance reviews and evaluations
- Support a favourable working relationship with staff to help foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working environment that is conducive to maximum employee engagement
- Obtain a full understanding of the Collective Agreement and advise on the effective administration of the Collective Agreement
- Ensure consistent compliance with all provincial and federal legislation related to human resource practices, including Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Code, Worksafe BC, and Human Rights Code
- Provide advice and guidance to leadership on employee performance issues and ensure effective plans are in place to improve performance
- Effectively manage employee performance issues, including disciplinary issues, investigations, evaluations, termination, grievances, and arbitrations
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety requirements, including being a part of the Occupational Health and Safety Committee and providing recommendations for improvement
- Support and assist in new staff orientation
- Manage and coordinate all leaves of absence, including vacation, sick, pregnancy, parental, personal, etc.
- Assist in the recruitment process of new employees including the preparation of job descriptions, job postings and offer letters, scheduling and conducting interviews and reference checks
- Conduct exit interviews with departing employees, including reviewing these with the Head of School and providing a summary of key findings along with recommendations for improvement
- Maintain all personnel files and ensure relevant information is filed
- Ensure adequate job descriptions are in place for all positions
- Participate in other HR projects or initiatives as required
- Prepare and document policies and procedures
- Ensure relevant and detailed documentation in all cases
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- CHRP designation required
- Comprehensive knowledge of current human resource management principles and provincial legislation (Employment Standard Act, Labour Relations Code, Human Rights Code, etc.)
- Ability to exercise a high level of confidentiality, discretion, and judgement
- Ability to recommend process improvements based on industry best practices that best support the HR objectives and streamline HR operations
- Experience in creating, developing and recommending appropriate HR systems
- Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office and Mac environments
- Experience working in a union environment preferred
- Must have a strong desire and capacity to learn
- Must be a self-starter
Reports To: Head of School
Term: Full-Time (Temporary 1-year maternity leave)
Salary: Commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and abilities
Start Date: August 8, 2017
All applicants will agree to have a Criminal Record Check. Please submit your application with all supporting documents, including cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on our school, please see our website www.southpointe.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at Southpointe Academy. However, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.