Human Resources Administrator
Human Resources Administrator
Permanent, full-time position beginning August, 2018.
Reporting to the Deputy Head of School, the role of Human Resources Administrator covers a breadth of duties, including but not limited to recruitment, employee engagement, benefits administration, assistance with health and safety, policy and procedure management, and resource documentation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing and leading daily HR operations and projects with limited guidance;
- Recruitment support – hiring requests, job postings, résumé management, screening, interviewing, reference checks and offer letters;
- New employee orientation and exit interviews with departing employees;
- Benefits administration;
- Employee scheduling, managing attendance, and ensuring proper adherence to school policies;
- Full understanding and communication of workplace health and safety (OHSA);
- Managing and administering WCB, STD, and LTD claims;
- Employee relations, internal communications, organizational changes and updates;
- Professional development of administrative staff;
- Annual performance reviews for administrative staff;
- Implementing systems and processes for efficient and effective HR management;
- Monitoring hiring practices and ensuring policies and procedures are followed;
- Maintaining all administration and HR forms, documents and files, including Policies and Procedures Handbook, and job descriptions;
- Reviewing policies and procedures with employees.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years Human Resources generalist experience;
- Undergraduate post-secondary degree in Human Resources, CHRP Certificate or equivalent;
- Familiarity with Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS, and Employment Standards Act;
- Familiarity of human resources within an educational setting would be an asset;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating confidence in working with all levels of the school;
- Ethical, hardworking, autonomous professional with strong initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a deep understanding and appreciation of people;
- Team player who has ability to shift priorities when necessary;
- Commitment to working collaboratively on a high-performing team.
Applicants are requested to submit a résumé with references, accompanied by a cover letter outlining the candidate’s particular strengths and how the candidate is well-suited to this role.
Please respond by email on or prior to Friday, June 22, 2018 to:
Michael Murgatroyd, Director of Finance
St. Michaels University School
3400 Richmond Road
Victoria, BC V8P 4P5
SMUS receives many résumés and we regret that we are unable to respond on an individual basis. Only short-listed candidates are contacted; no phone calls, please. Once a successful candidate is hired, the posting will be removed from our Current Opportunities page. Thank you for your interest in our school.
St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is one of Canada’s leading co-educational, independent day and boarding schools. SMUS was recently recognized by the College Board as the top school in Canada for Advanced Placement Equity and Excellence as well as placing among the top 60 schools worldwide.
Our boarding population is recruited nationally and internationally to form a rich and diverse community. Our students come from over 20 different countries and our school community represents over 40 different ethnic backgrounds. Our graduates attend the top universities in the world, many of them on scholarships. The faculty culture of excellence is supported by healthy professional development resources and a dynamic program of professional growth, which has earned them national and international recognition, including several Prime Minister’s Teaching Awards.
The school pursues academic success in an environment where the character and the self also grow.
For more information about St. Michaels University School, please refer to our website: www.smus.ca