Director of Marketing & Communications
Director of Marketing and Communications
Permanent, full-time position beginning November 15, 2018
The role of Marketing and Communications at SMUS is to understand, grow and serve our markets by strengthening our brand, by implementing effective and creative communications programs, and by bringing to life SMUS’s Vision and Mission. The intended results are to foster a powerful sense of school community, to attract strong applications from a talented and diverse body of prospective students, to increase financial sustainability, to communicate a strong case for philanthropy and to secure our place as a Canadian school with an international reputation.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will lead a team in fulfilling this mandate, drawing on their experience and skills to continuously improve programs, processes and results.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develops and executes an integrated marketing and communications plan that considers the needs of multiple stakeholders and audiences, and aligns with the school’s mission, vision and strategic priorities.
• Manages the delivery of marketing and communications projects including print publications, advertising campaigns and regular communications to parents and alumni.
• Researches, develops, writes and edits original copy, content, and articles for the School’s print and digital publications including School Ties magazine and the Annual Report Card.
• Acts as steward of the SMUS brand, ensuring that all departments maintain strong and consistent use of the school’s visual identity and key messages.
• Is responsible for ensuring that all external communications vehicles are accurate and up-to-date.
• Sets editorial direction and policy for our key publications and communications vehicles, including the alumni magazine, the online news site, social media as well as email newsletters.
• Liaises and coordinates with other departments and stakeholder groups, including the Parents Auxiliary and the Alumni Association to ensure consistency, timing, and relevancy of their messaging.
• Works with the computer services department to ensure that marketing and communications programs are adequately supported by the appropriate tools.
• Responsible for public relations, including acting as a liaison to the media as well as to neighbourhood and community groups.
• Conducts market research and school data analysis, keeping the school current on where the market is headed, as well keeping up on the latest innovations in marketing and communications.
• Manages a team of marketing professionals as well as relationships with several outsource suppliers, ensuring that the department always has access to the appropriate skill set at the required time and that the team consistently performs at a high level.
• Manages the budget for the marketing department, including budget planning, tracking and reporting.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
• Five to seven years’ experience in marketing and communications in progressively more challenging and senior roles.
• Outstanding writing, storytelling and editing skills.
• Demonstrated high-quality digital communications skills.
• Superior project management skills and the proven ability to manage multiple projects at once.
• Exceptional communication, public speaking/presentation, interpersonal and influence management skills.
• In-depth knowledge of strategic marketing and communication concepts, principles, methodology and techniques.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing marketing and communication plans, strategies, tactics and programs.
• Demonstrated ability to oversee the design and production of a wide variety of print materials.
• Superior ability in leading teams in the development of marketing and communications plans and to work well with all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrative ability to work well and develop consensus with a wide variety of people.
• Bachelor’s degree in arts, business or a related discipline with an emphasis on marketing and/or communications.
Preference will be given to candidates with the additional qualifications:
• Experience in K-12 or post-secondary education.
• A graduate degree in a related discipline.
Criminal Record Check
The successful candidate must pass and maintain a clear criminal record check for the purposes of working with children.
SMUS offers a competitive salary based on experience, and a generous health and retirement benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter outlining suitability and qualifications to Jennifer Kayal at Jennifer.Kayal@smus.ca by Friday, October 5, 2018.
SMUS is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and seeking a diverse and broad spectrum of qualified candidates. SMUS does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age or sexual orientation.
To view posting on our website, please click: https://www.smus.ca/discover/careers/mktg_1809